Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Articulating the Need to Move Between Subway Cars

So Ben at Second Avenue Sagas posted on the MTA's ban on riders moving between subway cars.
Does the MTA’s ban on inter-car travel make sense? Five years ago, MTA Board member Barry Feinstein defended the rule. “It’s dangerous. It’s not smart, and you shouldn’t do it,” he said. The number of people who get a ticket though far outweigh the one or two a year who suffer injury while switching cars.
The reasons for moving between subway cars are legion. Take Nora Hsu's story for example.
NY Post: Chad Rachman
An officer on patrol on the platform spotted her crossing and ordered her off the train.
"I told the cop, 'Cut me some slack. I'm 32 weeks pregnant, and I'm just trying to get home,' " she recalled for The Post. "I was out of breath."
But the officer said, "It doesn't matter," and wrote the ticket.

That got me wondering about articulated subway cars. That is to say, train cars that allow riders to go between them without ever physically stepping outside the train. And this led me to a post by Yonah Freemark at The Transport Politic.
Though an MTA Metro-North Railroad spokesman told me that articulation would reduce seating and probably not meet FRA structural requirements, there are no such limitations for the city’s subway system according to Mr. Anyansi, and in fact, the city once had articulated cars in operation.
Such as the D-type Triplex:

Here we see the articulated joint between the two cars. A feature I hope to see in any future NYC subway rolling stock. A feature that Nora Hsu would've greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment